Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My adventures in job shadowing.....by myself!


So this morning I was relatively excited about job shadowing for the music teacher at my brother's private school, Mr. Mathis. On the way to school, my Mom got a call. The moment I saw the look on my Mom's face I knew what she was going to say. Mr. Mathis has never missed a day of school. Ever. Until today. The day I'm supposed to be job shadowing him! How ironic. Let's just say I was a bit scared. How was I supposed to know what to do?! I've never taught a music class before! Anyways, when I got there I was very curious as to how this day was going to work out. I was to teach the 1st, 2nd, 7th, and 8th grade. I was fine with the 1st and 2nd grade. But 7th and 8th? They'll eat me alive! Oh well, I had no choice. Good thing it was after lunch. I had a few hours to plan, and PRAY. When I finally got a chance to talk to Mr. Mathis on the phone, I felt a lot better after getting to make a lesson plan and just figure out how my day was going to fall out. Basically I was going to explain the basic concepts of singing(posture, breath support, and mouth space), teach basic rythm, and lead a few songs with the class.
2nd Grade: They were sooo cute! I love working with little kids, and they were incredibly sweet. It's so easy to earn their respect, because when you're that young, you trust easily. I pretty much stuck to the lesson plan, teaching them rythm, and letting them read some rythm sheets with some "rythm sticks", or really loud, red sticks. They loved that. Watching them smile was so great!
1st Grade: Pretty much the same thing, just on a semi easier level. It was so funny, all they wanted to do was tell me stories, anything that came to mind! It was cute. They loved learning rythm, and I also taught them how to identify different woodwind instruments. I wish I had known that I was going to teach on woodwinds, I would of brought my saxophone to play! But it was great :)
7th and 8th Grade: They were pretty wild. I made them get into pairs and come up with a song to "audition" with. They did not want to do it, to say the least. But once they all got up and performed in front of each other, they realized how much fun being silly was. By the end of class, I got those crazy middle schoolers to audition in front of each other, girls against boys. It was great. I left the school feeling very accomplished! Who knows, maybe I'll do that someday? ehhh....maybe not ;)
Well, the fun's over. Time to get back to reality, and studying. I have a Government midterm, a latin test, a physical science test, and P.S quiz to make up for. Lovely. Just the type of educational suicide I needed. Hurry up Friday!
Caption for picture: My longing for Disney World is increasing fast, and it's not helping that the weather is warm and beautiful! My Disney ticket from last summer. We're leaving next Wednesday I'm so excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment